So, I’ve passed the halfway mark of my very first Me Made May. I know this veers away slightly from the old books and vintage crafts remit of the blog but, trust me, by the end of the post we’ll be back in familiar territory.
I’m not one for instagram or millions of photos of myself so I haven’t been recording the day-by-day stuff online. I’ve made some discoveries though:
- I have only two pairs of hand-made socks. I make a lot of socks. All the socks I make are for Karl. This is probably an injustice.
- Me Made November would be kinder for knitters. Many of the sewn items I’ve made are very summery and I haven’t been able to wear any of the tops because the weather is stupid.
- I have made a lot of things that don’t suit me. Why did I make them? What was I thinking? Some genius put me on to Wardrobe Architect which might actually lead to me sorting out what I actually want to wear and planning projects properly.
- I buy a lot of fat quarters.
- Fat quarters are not as useful as I often believe them to be.
- I have a lot of buttons.
But so far it’s been an interesting and oddly productive month.
First off – I won something! East London Knits were holding a May Day giveaway. And I made out like a bandit. Look at all this!
There are seven skeins of yarn – two laceweight in pale yellow, two laceweight in blue, and three DK-weight skeins of undyed silky lovely stuff. I’m not sure what it will become yet but I am thinking about lace projects and I’m toying around with a new design…
And on May 1st I started working on the Ginny cardigan which has been in my Ravelry queue since the dawn of time. Or at least since it was published. Same thing.
And so…to vintage crafts….
Yesterday I went on a lardy-cake eating, fabric-buying adventure to Witney where I found this:
I know it doesn’t look like much but it is the fabric for my Victorian Walking Jacket. I first blogged about the jacket months and months ago and since then I’ve been looking for the right fabric. This purpley-auberginey stripey fabric is the stuff dreams, or at least Victorian jackets, are made of. I was restrained through. I even made myself soak it first. Which was a good thing because huge amounts of dye came out of it.
The next step is to get hold of lining, piping, nerves of steel and huge amounts of tea and start making. That might be next weekend’s project…
And so to old books….
Tomorrow, I’m taking part in a short film about the University of Roehampton’s brand new collection of very old children’s books. The film will be part of our big announcement about the collection and I’ve a blog piece all about it ready to post as soon as I get the go-ahead!
In the meantime, here’s a sneaky peek of the collection:
Some day I will sit in the archive wearing my Victorian jacket and telling everyone who strays within earshot about my research. And because of my mighty sleeves and exquisite piping details, they won’t be able to get away. It will happen. Soon.